Monday, January 11, 2010

The importance of questions

I've been realizing, over the past couple of days, that I'm at a place in my career and life where people frequently come for me for answers. They bring questions, but are expecting me to provide information, or make a recommendation, or solve a problem -- in some, to ways "close" the question. And providing answers is surely important in certain ways and times. But for me, answers are a relatively small (and sometimes insignificant) aspect of what is important in life. I'm much more interested in the questions, in living the questions, journeying with the questions, questioning the journey. I'd rather keep developing a question so that it becomes more complex, more significant, and more open, rather than closing it down or resolving it. Questions, to me, often hold more interest and meaning than answers.

Hence my first journey into the blogosphere, as a way to name and create space for questions. And, like with most good questions, I'm not quite sure where this will take me/us. I hope to use this space to explore some of the questions related to a very particular Journey, one that involves the imagination of space for students who themselves are entering a new exploration of questions, in the guise of theological education mediated through academic technology. But, as someone who resists clear boundaries and artificial deliniations, I imagine that the questions and the journey explored in this blog will go far beyond that particular space, wandering most specifically into issues of identity, meaning, perspective, and possibility.

So, if you find me here, I hope you too will bring your questions, not to solve or resolve them, but to open them up, explore them deeply, wrestle with them honestly, and let them guide us into new possibilities.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful beginning! Thank you for unveiling some of your thoughts here in the virtual world! You may already know, but there is a great book titled: "Knowledge That Matters: A Feminist Theological Paradigm & Epistemology." Lucy Tatman wrote this book and it was published in 2001. Its a great little book to have on the shelf.

    On the other hand, I'm really thankful that you are one where I can come w/ my questions. As a doctoral student who is queer and a person of color, I look for other folks who can listen well and help me re-formulate questions rather than simply giving me answers. Grateful for your writing and space to ask questions...I look forward to reading and learnign how to ask better questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A place where questions are the answer. This is space I can run around in. I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the Tatman book is great -- I used her a bit in my dissertation, particularly for her work on Sallie McFague -- but I haven't looked back at it for a while. Thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete