Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New Glasses


This will be quick tonight, because my eyes are still blurry -- I got my vision checked today, for the first time in five years. And yes, I have new glasses. If the optometrist is right, books and papers and even the computer screen will actually be clear when I read them tomorrow (I'm guessing he doesn't mean that metaphorically though...).

Anyhow, as I was sitting in his office waiting for my eyes to dilate, but not really able to do anything but sit and think, I was reflecting on how funny eye exams are, particularly the part where they try pairs of lenses and you're supposed to say which one is clearer. I always feel like I'm guessing. A or B? B, I guess. A or B? A, I guess. It seems almost impossible for me to tell the difference between the two choices, and it gets worse the further we get into the exam. I do my best, but it still feels like I'm just making up my answers. And yet at the end, the optometrist writes me a prescription, and, sure enough, the new glasses actually do help me see better.

Funny how life also seems like that. At least, the "making it up" part -- here's hoping the clarity also follows.

(p.s. -- I found out that it's called a phoropter, and the image is from wikimedia commons.)

2 comments:

  1. I go next Wednesday to the eye doctor. i've not been in 2 years. Wonder what they will say to me and whether I'll be able to answer affirmatively A or B?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. DMV TEST

    ReplyDelete